A wireless mouse is a useful device that helps you navigate through web pages and documents without the drag of a cable lying around your desk, around your paperwork or even near your food and drinks.
However, there’s a bit of a learning curve in the process of using a wireless mouse, and one of the first things you need to learn is how to hook up a wireless mouse to your computer.
How to Hook Up a Wireless Mouse
First, this would depend entirely on the model of wireless mouse you have. That being said, to hook up a wireless mouse start by checking whether your mouse is RF Wireless or Bluetooth, insert the batteries or wireless adapter (if it needs them) and install the required drivers before pairing it with your computer.
How to Hook Up an RF Wireless Mouse
A Wireless RF Mouse usually contains two pieces: the mouse and the dongle. The dongle is that little USB connector or wireless adapter that exchanges information from the mouse to the computer, and vice-versa. Follow these simple steps to hook up an RF wireless mouse:
- Connect the dongle into one USB port of your laptop.
- Detecting the presence of a new device, your OS will ask you permission to install the driver of the mouse. In that case, confirm the request. Otherwise, the OS will probably find and install the driver by itself.
- With the dongle settled, check the status of the battery of the mouse. The slot of the battery is located generally in the underside of the mouse. Change the battery if it’s required.
- If the battery is charged, then turn the mouse on. Usually, the on/off button is on the upper side of the mouse.
- Try moving your mouse, it should be working normally.
How to Hook Up a Bluetooth Mouse
As the name indicates, a Bluetooth mouse is a device that uses Bluetooth to connect with the laptop. Unlike an RF mouse, a Bluetooth mouse doesn’t require a dongle. Follow these simple steps to hook up a Bluetooth mouse:
- Verify the status of your battery. Open the battery slot in the underside of the mouse.
- Pair your mouse to your laptop the way you do it with other devices: In your laptop press the following: Start/ Settings/ Devices/ Bluetooth & Other Devices
- Turn “On” the Bluetooth feature and make sure your laptop is visible
- Select “Add Bluetooth or other devices”
- Press the “Pairing” button of the mouse for a few seconds. Most models have some say (light or sound) to indicate the device has paired to the computer.
- At that point, your computer should’ve detected the mouse and it must be asking permission to pair. Confirm and save the pairing. Your mouse should now be working.
How Do I Connect a Wireless Mouse Without a USB Port?
If you want to set an RF Wireless mouse, you can’t do it without a USB port. If you can’t spare a USB port on your computer, you should try a Bluetooth mouse, which doesn’t require a USB port. Alternatively, you can buy a USB port hub, an accessory that expands your available USB ports.
How to Connect a Wireless Mouse to a Chromebook?
There are no big differences connecting a Wireless Mouse to a Chromebook with respect to an ordinary Laptop. Likewise, you should start by checking whether your device it’s an RF Wireless or Bluetooth mouse.
How to Connect an RF Wireless Mouse to a Chromebook
- Connect the dongle into one USB port of your Laptop Chromebook.
- Detecting the presence of a new device, Chromebook will find and install the driver of the mouse by itself.
- With the dongle settled, check the status of the battery of the mouse. Change the battery if it’s required.
- If the battery is charged, then turn the mouse on.
- Use your mouse moving it randomly. Your mouse should be working normally.
How to Connect a Bluetooth Mouse to a Chromebook
- Verify the status of your battery. Open the battery slot located in the underside of the mouse.
- Look for the “Bluetooth” icon in the Status Panel of your Chromebook. The Status Panel is located at the right bottom of your screen.
- Click on the “Bluetooth” icon to enable it. Once it’s activated, Chromebook will show you a list of several Bluetooth mouses. Choose yours.
- Verify that you made your mouse visible, by turning on the “Pairing” button of the mouse.
- Confirm and save the pairing. Your mouse should work just fine.
How Do I Connect My Wireless Mouse to the TV?
Most of the TVs today are provided now with USB ports. The next steps are very alike for almost any TV brand. However, you should start by checking if your TV model is compatible with wireless devices like a wireless mouse.
How to Connect an RF Mouse to a TV
- Check if your TV is connected to the internet
- Connect the dongle into one USB port of your TV
- The TV should automatically look for the driver and notify you when it’s ready.
- With the dongle settled, check the status of the battery of the mouse.
- If the battery is charged, then turn the mouse on.
- Use your mouse, moving it randomly. Confirm that your mouse is working.
How to Connect a Bluetooth Mouse to a TV
- You should pair your wireless mouse with your TV. To do that, open your menu on the TV in the section “settings” or “system”.
- Select device manager/ mouse settings/ Add Bluetooth mouse/
- Turn on the “Pairing” button of the mouse.
- The TV will be then turn on its Bluetooth and looking automatically to pair with the devices around. When it is done, select OK.
- Your mouse should be working.
A wireless mouse is a very practical device to help us with our laptops and TVs. Wireless mice work in a similar manner as wired mice and through very simple steps we can set it up without any inconvenience.