Most DJing software such as Serato requires hardcore systems to run them. The latest versions of Serato DJ Pro use the 64-bit software architecture and require uncompromising computing power. That’s one of the main reasons why finding the best laptop for Serato DJ software can be a hassle if you don’t know where to look.
However, there is no need to worry. We have done extensive research and identified four laptops we believe will be the perfect match for the Serato DJ Pro.
Our Top Laptops for Serato DJ Software
If you are looking for a solid laptop to help you explore your DJing potential using the Serato DJ software, the following recommendations will pack a punch and push your skills to new levels.
Best Overall Laptop for Serato DJ Software: ASUS ROG GL552VW
Granted, many consider the ASUS ROG GL552VW a gaming laptop. However, if you are a DJ looking for a laptop with the perfect concoction of specs needed to breeze through the Serato DJ software, this model is up to the task. The laptop runs on a 6th generation Intel Core i7 CPU in combination with 16GB of RAM that’s good enough for DJing.
With fast browsing speeds, you can use the ASUS ROG GL552VW to quickly download music and add to your Serato database. There is 1TB of HDD storage and an additional 128GB SSD.
This will allow you to not only download and store as much music as you want. It can also boost the laptop’s performance. You can upgrade the HDD storage if you need more space. For instance, if you mix a lot of music videos as opposed to MP3s, they might take up a lot of space.
The 15.6-inch IPS display utilizes a discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M graphics to display every aspect of the Serato DJ software user Interface. There is Full HD resolution for bright colors and admirable clarity. The powerful pixels allow you to have control over the software and mix your music with more confidence.
However, if you are looking for portability, this laptop might be a thumbs down for you. With the sturdy build, powerful specs and a huge display, you will have to sacrifice portability. So if you travel a lot to perform your gigs, you might have to look elsewhere.
Otherwise, if you are after a powerful performance and don’t care that much about portability, this is the perfect laptop to advance your DJing career.
What We Like
- The powerful processor in combination with 16GB of RAM will flawlessly run the Serato DJ software.
- 1TB + 128GB SSD storage provides enough space to store music in your Serato database.
- Powerful GeForce GTX 960M graphics coupled with FHD resolution significantly boost display quality when mixing.
- Sturdy build quality for added durability.
- Long battery life allows you to use the software for long hours without recharging.
What We Don’t Like
- The high price may scare way DJs on a budget.
- The laptop is bulky making it unfit for DJs who travel a lot.
- Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz. 16GB RAM; 1TB 7200RPM + 128GB M.2 SSD Storage.
- 15.6 inches Matte IPS FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB VRAM gaming...
- GameFirst III technology prioritizes the flow of the game data across your network.
Best Laptop for Serato DJ Software for the Money: Acer Spin 5
For Serato users who fancy convertibles, the Acer Spin 5 will be a perfect companion. We found that this laptop offers the most features for its price. It’s lightweight with a beautiful chassis and an impressive specs sheet.
However, the most attention-grabbing detail to this laptop is the Amazon Alexa support. This means that it uses Echo dot, Alexa’s smart speaker that allows you to control the audio by simply speaking to your laptop. In fact, according to market statistics, this single feature has been Acer Spin 5’s most outstanding selling point.
This is definitely a feature that will come in handy for budding or professional DJs using the Serato software. There is also an 8th generation Intel Core i7 CPU that will see you enjoy a different music production and mixing experience. With this processor, the laptop can easily handle the Serato software while also concurrently loading and mixing music using multiple applications.
To top that off, you also get 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD storage. This will further boost the laptop’s performance and provide enough space for storing your music. The 13.3-inch LED-backlit IPS Multi-Touch display comes with a Full HD resolution and a color gamut support that is better than of the HP Specter x360.
What We Like
- Alexa’s Echo dot support for a better audio experience
- Powerful processor for running the Serato DJ software
- Sufficient space for storing all your music
- Long battery life
- Solid build quality
What We Don’t Like
- The display has below-average contrast
- Uses SATA SSD which offers subpar performance
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U Processor (Up to 4.0GHz)
- Alexa Built-in
- 13.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Multi-Touch Display
Best Cheap Laptop for Serato DJ Software: Apple MacBook Air
It is unlikely that you will find the Apple MacBook Air on any list of budget laptops. While it is fairly priced, this laptop is not exactly cheap. However, for this guide, this is the cheapest laptop we could find that can run the Serato DJ software without performance glitches.
The sleek design might be the MacBook Air’s top-selling point. However, that is not the only thing that made this model one of the most popular in the computer industry. It boasts of robust performance, an enviable battery life, unrivaled display quality, and a powerful blend of internals.
Although you will buy this laptop mostly for its aesthetic appeal, you will also quickly fall for the stalwart Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, long battery life, variety of peripheral ports, and impressive display.
You will find that most of Apple MacBook Air’s features are a step-down from our other recommendations. However, this does not translate to lower performance. The CPU performance is a bit underwhelming compared to the other options.
We don’t consider this a serious compromise. This laptop can still handle the Serato DJ software efficiently enough.
Although 128GB SSD storage might not be enough for storing your music and many relevant programs, you can always get external storage or use the cloud. What you lose in storage, you gain in performance and speed.
The MacBook Air is the second most portable laptop in this guide after the HP Spectre X360. It weighs 2.96 pounds and is only 2.2 inches thick. Surprisingly, it still manages to pack enough ports to enable you to transfer music files between the laptop and other devices. These include two USB 3 ports, a Thunderbolt 2 port, and Sdxc port.
The 13.3-inch touchscreen Retina display is both a work of art and a performance powerhouse. It offers rich natural colors and clarity while being merciful to your eyes. With this display, you can vividly see every component of the Serato DJ Software allowing you to significantly boost your DJing skills.
What We Like
- Crisp Retina display
- Long battery life of up to 8 hours when operating Serato DJ software
- A combination of an Intel Core i5 processor, UHD graphics, and 8GB of RAM makes for strong performance
- Sleek and portable design makes it a good option for DJs who move around a lot
- Variety of ports for transferring music files between the laptop and other devices
What We Don’t Like
- Limited storage may cause performance glitches when huge files are stored
- Underwhelming CPU performance
- All-Day Battery Life – Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life.
- Powerful Performance – Take on everything from professional-quality editing to action-packed...
- Superfast Memory – 8GB of unified memory makes your entire system speedy and responsive. That way...
Best Portable Laptop for Serato DJ Software: HP Spectre X360
If you are one of those DJs that is always on the road, you need a laptop that you can easily pack and carry with you. In this case, we recommend the HP Spectre X360. The laptop weighs a mere 1.32 pounds and is only 0.6 inches thick being the lightest recommendation in this guide.
On top of its portability, the HP Spectre X360 also packs powerful features that position it as a perfect platform for running the Serato DJ software. These include an impressive processor, enough internal storage, powerful graphics, high display quality, and unparalleled battery life.
The convertible runs on an 8th Generation Intel Core i7 putting it in the same performance chart as the ASUS ROG GL552VW. It also comes with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage. This makes for a powerful blend of features to enable you to run the Serato DJ Software on the laptop with minimal hiccups.
With 512GB SSD storage, you can download a variety of music without crippling the laptop’s performance. And while this storage is good enough, we recommend that you use an external SD card if you are storing large files such as music videos.
This will leave enough room to keep the laptop from lagging. What is more, an external drive will help you secure your music when the laptop crashes without backup.
The 13.3-inch FHD IPS display offers great viewing angles with unmatched display performance. It uses Gorilla glass technology for durability and is surrounded by extremely thin bezels. It also comes with a Stylus Pen to help you interact with the Serato DJ Software more flexibly.
What We Like
- Powerful Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM for flawless DJing with the Serato Software
- 512GB SSD storage, enough for storing your music
- High-quality display allows for better interaction with the software.
- Suitable both as a standard laptop or a tablet while DJing
- A good fit for DJs who travel a lot
What We Don’t Like
- Too expensive for DJs on a budget
- Short battery life
- Runs hot when the Serato DJ software is used for long hours
- Include Windows 10 Professional Upgrade, HP Premium Warranty, 3 Years McAfee Internet Security(1...
- Intel Core i7 8565U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) Whiskey Lake + Intel UHD Graphics...
- 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS micro edge WLED backlit multitouch enabled edge to edge glass(1920 x 1080),...
What to Consider in a Laptop for Serato DJ Software
Running software such as the Serato DJ Pro requires plenty of computing power. For this reason, you need to be careful and prioritize features that the program directly takes advantage of. Below are some of these features.
The processor is directly responsible for running the software. We recommend at least an Intel Core i5 CPU for the Serato DJ software. This will ensure that the software runs without any performance hiccups.
For the speed, aim for not less than 2GHz. Previous users have complained about the Serato software having issues with AMD processors so you might want to stick to Intel.
If you want fast loading times, you should go for more RAM. We recommend 8GB and 16GB. However, if you are on the budget side, 4GB can be enough in the meantime. However, you should never consider this as a long term solution especially when you have a large music database or mixing video music.
For DJs who multitask, low RAM could cause many unprecedented problems. This is usually the case while DJing. Most DJs run more than two applications at the same time to get better audio performance.
We generally recommend bigger screens for the Serato DJ software. However, you need to be a little careful here especially if you fancy portability. While bigger screens offer better clarity, they might make the laptop bulky and a pain to carry around.
In this case, you should go for either 13-inch or 15-inch. Anything smaller than 13 inches will only make it harder to use the Serato Software especially when you are on a live show.
If you are looking for the perfect balance between screen size and portability, a 15-inch is probably the best option.
However, if you want a bigger laptop and have a plan on how to carry it around, you could go for a 17-inch. For resolution, stick to Full HD or 4K displays.
You need sufficient storage space to store all your music and leave enough breathing space for the laptop.
You have two options here. You can either go with Hard disk drives (HDDs) or Solid-state drives (SSDs). While HDDs are cheaper and provide more storage, they are slower, produce heat, and are often noisy.
On the other hand, while SSD storage is expensive, it’s much faster with minimal noise or heat production. They are usually built into the laptop and have no moving parts like HDDs. A combination of both, such as with the ASUS ROG GL552VW, is the best option. Good for at least 1TB HDD storage and 128GB SSD storage.
Whether you are just getting your feet wet with the Serato DJ software or you are already a Pro DJ, this guide will help you find a laptop that is the perfect companion for this software. Make sure to prioritize the features discussed above for the best experience.