A laptop always comes in handy around the house. You need it for streaming the latest TV shows and movies, playing games, browsing, using social media, video communication, making a budget or even homeschooling your kids.
While there are a lot of brands to choose from, Dell offers some of the best Dell laptops for home use.
Our Top Dell Laptops for Home Use
This guide will help you buy the best Dell laptop for home use. We did our research and found 3 Dell laptops we think will be the best fit for most home users in terms of overall quality, price and value for your money.
Best Overall Dell Laptop for Home Use: Dell XPS 13
Recommending the Dell XPS 13 for any purpose is very easy. This is a highly versatile laptop that comes with an inspiring design and powerful hardware. This 13.3-inch beauty comes with a touchscreen display surrounded by incredibly thin bezels.
If you are looking for an all-round Dell laptop for home use, the XPS 13 won’t disappoint. Powered by a powerful Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM, this model is a multitasking powerhouse that will come in handy in any home.
Whether you’re working from home or watching your favorite movies, you will always enjoy top hole performance.
If you run any programs at home, the Core i7 processor will ensure you breeze through them without any lag in performance. What is more, you will be able to store a lot of files and multimedia in the 512GB SSD storage. This also enables the laptop to run faster especially when booting up.
What We Like
- Powerful Intel Core i7 processor for fast performance while streaming, playing games, editing videos or running different programs.16GB of RAM for multitasking while at home. This enables you to perform different tasks at the same time without affecting performance.
- Impressive 4K resolution for vivid screen output when gaming or doing some graphic design at home.
- Staggering 512GB SSD storage for storing files and multimedia such as family pictures, wedding videos, movies, eBooks, and personal documents
What We Don’t Like
- The high price tag makes it unfit for homeowners on a budget.
- It comes with only two color options, so a lot of people might miss out on their favorite color.
- Infinityedge display, enabling a 13. 3" Screen In an 11-inch form Factor with an 80. 7%...
- Vibrant colors: by maximizing the color spectrum with 100% sRGB color and a 1500: 1 contrast ratio,...
- Beautiful from every angle: The anti-reflective screen combined with superior 400-nit brightness...
Best Laptop for Home Use for the Money: Dell XPS 15
If you want a Dell laptop for home use that is bigger than the Dell XPS 13 for a smaller price, we recommend the Dell XPS 15. This is a good option if you are looking for a laptop that offers the best balance between price and performance.
It’s cheaper than the XPS 13 and comes with 256GB SSD storage, 8GB RAM and an Intel Core i5 processor.
This makes it a good fit for everyday use at home. You can use it for browsing, streaming, doing some creative work, playing games and watching videos. Although the 8GB of RAM is smaller than what you get with the Dell XPS 13, it is still enough for handling most tasks at home.
The 4K OLED screen makes for a great option for creatives who work from home. This kind of resolution will provide clarity with rich color production especially when watching movies or playing games.
What We Like
- Enough 256GB SSD storage for storing important files and multimedia at home.
- 8GB RAM for running several programs at the same time without bottlenecking performance.
- The 4K OLED offers the best viewing experience when using the laptop for different tasks at home.
- Decent Core i5 processor for fluid performance when browsing, using the word processor or playing games.
What We Don’t Like
- Still expensive for most people at home.
- The keyboard is a bit mediocre making it unfit for people who like typing from home.
- Lack of top-firing audio makes it a bad choice for people who love music.
Best Cheap Laptop for Home Use: Dell Inspiron 15 3000
Some of Dell Inspiron 15 3000’s features parallel those of the Dell XPS 15. These include 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD storage, an Intel Core i5 processor and a 15-inch touchscreen.
The best part is, you are getting all these goodies for less than half the price of the Dell XPS 15.
This makes the Inspiron 15 3000 a great fit for homeowners looking for a cheap but powerful Dell laptop.
While it doesn’t come with a 4K resolution like the XPS 13 and XPS 15, the Full HD display is still good enough for home use. You can still enjoy decent video streaming, lightweight gaming or watching high-resolution movies.
What We Like
- The 256GB of SSD storage contributes to faster performance while providing enough space for storing important files at home.
- The 8GB of RAM will make the laptop faster especially when performing different functions at the same time.
- The generous 15.6-inch touchscreen display will come in handy for those who like watching videos and gaming at home.
- It has a cheap price tag despite packing powerful hardware.
What We Don’t Like
- Not good for hardcore gaming, video streaming or graphic design.
- Weighs 5.2 pounds making it a bit heavy and hard to carry around while at home.
- Powered by 7th Gen Intel Core i5-7200U mobile Processor smart dual-core processing performance for...
- 8GB of DDR4 memory is available to run games, programs and more. 256GB SSD for fast start-up while...
- Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 for outstanding gaming and streaming video. Hdmi? Port lets you...
What to Consider When Buying A Dell Laptop for Home Use
The kind of features you look for when buying the best Dell Laptop for home use depends on what you intend to do with the laptop. However, there are a few features that come in handy for every task you do at home. These are the features that you should give priority when buying your laptop.
If you like using your laptop in different areas of the room, travel frequently or commute on a daily basis, you will want to buy a portable Dell laptop. In this case, you should look out for a lightweight laptop with a small screen size. The best portables usually have less than 13-inch displays and weigh less than 4 pounds.
A good display is a must for literally every task you do with your laptop. Whether it is planning a diet, doing a grocery budget, watching videos or playing some games, you need a display that always draws a sigh of satisfaction.
The most important thing to consider in a display is resolution. For home use, a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels should enable you to do most of your tasks without straining too much. Most Dell laptops come with this resolution so you are not going to have to shop around for too long.
Another thing to consider is whether you want a touchscreen or not.
There are people who are so used to touchscreens that they can’t imagine using a laptop without it while there are those who don’t care about swiping around.
A convertible laptop, also known as a 2-in-1 laptop, is a laptop that can be converted into a tablet by either detaching from the keyboard or flipping at an angle of 180 degrees from the keyboard.
Convertibles have features of both a tablet and a standard laptop.
If you need a laptop that you can comfortably use without placing on a table or your lap, we recommend that you get a convertible.
Otherwise, you will be okay with a standard clamshell design.
Whatever it is you are doing with your laptop, performance will always be a priority. In this case, we consider the CPU and RAM.
The CPU determines how fast the laptop performs what you instruct it to do. Although you will not be doing a lot of heavyweight tasks in your home, you still need a Dell Laptop with a fairly powerful processor.
For basic tasks like browsing, watching videos, reading or typing you will be fine with an Intel Core i5. Otherwise for multimedia tasks like video or photo editing, video streaming, graphic design and gaming we recommend an Intel Core i7 and above.
For the RAM, we recommend at least 4GB. The amount of RAM space you have will determine how many tasks your laptop can do concurrently. So, the more the better.
A good Dell laptop for home use should come with sufficient storage. This will help you to securely store all your files, multimedia and any software you may use around the house. Modern laptops have a host of options when it comes to storage. The most common are SSDs and HDDs.
Hard Disc Drives usually provide more space and are less expensive. However, they are slow, noisy and use a lot of computer power. On the other hand, Solid State Drives are more expensive, they’re also faster with less noise and power consumption.
We recommend that you use a combination of both for the best experience.
We hope that this guide will help you buy the best dell laptop for home use. Make sure to keep in mind the features discussed above so you can buy a laptop that is the best fit for use at home.